INEA Homepage
Homes to Buy
Homes to Buy

  Homes to Rent
Homes to Rent


  New Homes
New Homes


Your Currency

Property Search
Property Type:
Minimum Price:
Maximum Price:
Minimum Bedrooms:
Added In:
Order By:
Find in Description:

Homes to Buy

What is an EPC

What is an EPC/ and who is affected:

Energy Performance Certificate

The EPC is part of the Home Information Pack. The certificates are carried out by  a qualified Energy Assessor, who visits the property to collect the relevant facts about the property and from their findings they create the certificate.

The information includes the date, construction and location of the house and relevant fittings (heating systems, insulation or double glazing, for example). The Assessor will then show wether the property can be improved or if it is energy efficient.

The EPC information is illustrated in two graph style charts:

The Certificate will give the building a rating from A to G. An A rating shows it's very efficient, meaning lower fuel bills, while G is inefficient, meaning higher fuel bills. The Certificate will also show the building's environmental impact by indicating its carbon-dioxide emissions.

From October 2008 all buildings whenever sold, built or rented will need an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC).

We are informed that fines of £200 will be issued on those property owners not complying. Properties being marketed from pre HIP requirement will now need an EPC come October 1st 2008.

  • In reference to let properties we are told by that properties already let will not need EPCs until such a time as a new tenancy is issued.
  • Between private individuals HIPs have been exempt and EPCs on private sales not required. from October 1st EPCs on private sales will be required

The certificate provides energy efficiency A-G ratings and recommendations for improvement. The ratings - similar to those found on products such as fridges - are standard so the energy efficiency of one building can easily be compared with another building of a similar type. 

Acting on an EPC is important to cut energy consumption, save money on bills and help to safeguard the environment.

EPCs were first introduced for the marketed sale of domestic homes, as part of the Home Information Pack. If you are buying or selling a home it is now law to have a certificate. From April this was extended to newly built homes and large commercial properties. By October 2008 all buildings whenever built, sold or rented will require one, including those on the market before the phased introduction of EPCs for domestic properties in 2007.

EPCS are produced by accredited energy assessors.

On Tuesday, 9 September 2008 regulations on EPCs were updated to respond to consumer and industry needs. These will come into force for October 2008 and include:

  • extending the validity period of the EPC for homes when marketed for sale - currently one year - to three years (this has been the result of extensive consultation)
  • clarifying arrangements for the October roll-out for commercial buildings already on the market which will be similar to those put in place in April and July. This means that any non-domestic building on the market before 1st October and remaining on the market will need an EPC by 4th January at the latest. If it is sold or rented out in the meantime, an EPC must be commissioned and then handed over as soon as is practicable. This measure is intended to make it easier for owners and landlords to comply with the legislation, avoid market fluctuations and is in response to expectations from the industry

A copy of the Energy Performance of Buildings regulations will be available on the Office of Public Sector Information website.


The way a building is constructed, insulated, heated and ventilated and the type of fuel used, all contributes to its energy consumption and carbon emissions.

The Energy Performance Certificate is one measure being introduced to help improve the energy efficiency of our buildings. It is part of a programme of work being rolled out across Europe to reflect legislation. Other changes require larger public buildings to display certificates showing the energy efficiency of the building and requiring inspections for air conditioning systems.

Below is a summary of what is happening and when in England and Wales. Scotland and Northern Ireland are both introducing their own regulations.




Featured Agent
Nationwide Residential & Commercial
Woodford Green
08456 20 00 20
Click for more